TGIF!! *Insert cliche complaint about the DMV* I was off work Monday but my week started out at the DMV an the county tax office, so there’s that. Luckily, it went relatively smoothly (though, I was trying to resolve an issue that’s been ongoing for 5+ months at this point).
This week kind of was crazy but kind of flew by. Having Monday off made for a quick week, but being out of town last weekend for the Divas Half Marathon made the week a bit nutty. I knew we were heading to Myrtle Beach when I made my meal plans so I tried to make this weeks easier and quicker because I knew I wouldn’t have a whole lot of meal prep time before the start of the week. We’re heading out of town again this Saturday for a graduation dinner for two of my cousins. It should be a pretty quick trip though. Hopefully I’ll get to see my brother who I haven’t seen in – embarrassingly too long because neither of us could remember the last time we saw each other!
If you’re looking for quick and easy, this week’s meals are it. The grocery bill was cheap and the prep time was minimal. Adam has been loving the wraps (he’s good with any excuse to eat a sandwich or wrap) and I have been eating most of the quinoa salad. Instead of a wheat wrap, we’ve grown to like an olive oil tortilla that’s high in fiber and protein. Also, the original recipe I found for the quinoa salad didn’t call for Frank’s red hot, but I couldn’t resist!
Chicken & Avocado Ranch Wraps
- Flax Seed Wraps/Whole wheat wraps
- Chicken tenderloins
- Salt & Pepper
- Homemade ranch
- Boil chicken until cooked. Shred.
- Top wrap with chicken, sliced avocado, tomatoes, salt & pepper and homemade clean eating ranch.
Slow Cooker Steak & Broccoli (with brown rice – even though we nixed the rice this week!)
- 1-½ lbs sirloin steak
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup low sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 bags frozen broccoli florets
- Brown Rice
- Spray inside of 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Stir together 3/4 cup water, soy sauce and brown sugar in slow cooker. Add beef; sprinkle with black pepper to taste and turn to coat with soy sauce mixture.
- Add in two packs of frozen broccoli florets.
- Cover; cook on LOW 7-1/2 hours or on HIGH 3-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove beef from slow cooker.
- *Option: Cook brown rice according to package and serve under beef and broccoli.
Southwest Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 2 can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can reduced sodium corn, drained
- Tomato paste
- 1/2 of a large green bell pepper
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions. I like to cook my quinoa in either vegetable stock or chicken stock to add a little flavor. I also like to rinse it before I cook it. To do this, just place the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it under water for a few minutes.
- When the quinoa is done cooking, fluff it with a fork, transfer it to a large bowl and allow it to cool completely (about 15 minutes).
- Add spinach to warm quinoa to allow it time to wilt down.
- In a small bowl whisk together hot sauce, olive oil and black pepper.
- When the quinoa has cooled, add in black beans, corn, red bell pepper and chopped green onions.
- Stir in dressing and toss to coat.
Wheat Toast with Almond Butter & Banana
- Wheat toast
- Almond Butter
Low Sodium Pickles