TGIF, y’all! I am glad this week is over, it’s been a crazy one. We have our last half of the season tomorrow morning and I’m not mad about it. It starts at 8 (I’m not thrilled about) and therefore it will probably be warm…and sunny and humid. Oh well, it gives us an excuse to head strait to the Greek Festival that’ll be going on downtown and eat all the not clean eating foods!! I’ll have deserved it, right?
This week’s meals were pretty basic. Because of the race I wanted to stick close to home and not shock my body with anything crazy, and still make sure I was getting enough calories to sustain my training. The only thing I wasn’t crazy about was the apple pie oats. I have never used apple pie spice before but it gave me a weird taste and I wasn’t fond of it. Maybe next time I’ll use cinnamon or a different sweetener. Otherwise, the quinoa and balsamic steak are definite keepers!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups diced onion
- 1 1/4 cups diced bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 can reduced sodium tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 can organic tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 can reduced sodium, organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can sodium, organic pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes. Pour into a slow cooker.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth & water, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and taco seasoning. Cover and cook on HIGH heat about 2 hours 45 minutes – 3 hours 15 minutes (cook time can vary because all slow cookers cook a little differently so just keep an eye on it near the end to make sure it’s neither getting soggy or drying out near the edges).
- Add corn and toss mixture. Cover and cook until heated through about 10 – 15 minutes longer. Serve warm with desired toppings.
- Optional: Top with avocado, green onion or diced tomatoes
Ground Turkey, Broccoli & Brown Rice
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Dicecd onions
- Black pepper, cayenne pepper
- 1 can green chilis
- 2 bags Frozen broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Basil & Oregano
- Brown Rice
- Brown ground turkey, saute with diced onions, chilis, and spices to your liking
- Place broccoli in an oven safe dish and toss with olive oil, black pepper and italian spices.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
Balsamic Steak & Arugula Salad
- 1 1-2 lb sirloin steak
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Rosemary, sage, basil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl or blender and pour over the steak. Marinate overnight.
- Combine the cherry tomatoes with salt. Stir in the vinegar, garlic and olive oil.
- Heat the grill over high heat, spray the grates and grill a few minutes on each side, until cooked to your taste. Let it rest a few minutes before slicing.
- Toss the arugula with the tomato mixture.
- Slice the grilled skirt steak into thin slices and place on a platter, scatter the arugula-tomato salad over the steak and serve right away.
Overnight Oats: Apple Pie
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- Add the rolled oats to a mason jar or other lidded container.
- Add the almond milk, applesauce and spices to the oats.
- If you would like, add chopped walnuts and/or apple pieces.
- Stir until completely mixed, seal the container and refrigerate for 6-8 hours. Serve cold. This recipe will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
Baked Tortillas & Salsa
- Low sodium, organic salsa
- Corn tortillas
- 6″ corn tortillas and spread some sort of oil on them
- Cut the tortillas in half then in thirds. This will give you 6 chips per tortilla.
- Place on a cooking sheet that has been sprayed. Making sure they do not touch or they won’t get as crispy. Place in a 350º oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve with a side of low sodium, organic salsa.
Celery Sticks & Almond Butter
- Almond Butter
- Celery Sticks